Monday, August 17, 2020

The right Microcontroller for the Job

 Raspberry Pi VS Olimex ESP32-POE-ISO


Size DOES matter... But it's not the only consideration. My foot sensor design required a small Microcontroller with power over ethernet and a few GPIO pins for the sensor and possibly an LED or two. In reality, both of these boards are overkill, but work well due to availability, cost, build time, and current knowledge of components and programming. In the future, I'd like to design a small board with only the essential components for the foot sensor. 

Living in the moment... Time is a factor, and I don't have all the time in the world to learn new Microcontrollers, coding languages, etc. I need to create stuff now! While Raspberry Pi (RPi)is already becoming a tool in my tool belt, I recognize the benefits of learning the ESP32, as it is becoming more popular and at a fraction of the cost of the RPi. Of course, that meant starting fresh with projects like lighting up an LED. In a nutshell though, syntax is the real difference. The board has GPIO pins, and makes a serial connection to my laptop via USB cable. The big difference to me was that it doesn't have removable storage like the RPi. This required me to learn the Arduino IDE, which had to be updated with a driver for the ESP32 (available from the Climax website) in order to flash the memory.

Another challenge was understanding what all the pins were for on the ESP32... The internet has been the most useful asset for learning how to use ESP32, as it isn't mentioned in any of the book I already had. The pinout chart is probably the most important single piece of information that I needed.



Olimex ESP32-POE-ISO

https://www.olimex.com/Products/IoT/ESP32/ESP32-POE-ISO/open-source-hardware


RaspberryPi

https://www.raspberrypi.org







No comments:

Post a Comment